LAMMPS mail list
The LAMMPS mail list is hosted at
SourceForge. The mail list began in 2005,
and now includes tens of thousands of messages in thousands of
threads. LAMMPS developers and other users try to respond to posted
questions in a timely manner.
In 2021, LAMMPS also joined the Materials Science Community
Discourse website as a forum. Which is an
alternative way to communicate with the LAMMPS developers and user
community. See forum details here.
Mail list options
- search the mail list archive via Google search box below
- search for mail messages using Google/Bing/etc directly by including "lammps-users" in search
- search the mail list archive and other LAMMPS forum messages on Materials Science Community Discourse via its search option
Ways to use the LAMMPS mail list
- Anyone can post messages to the list by sending an email to
lammps-users at lists.sourceforge.net.
- Anyone can browse/search previous questions/answers in the archives.
See the links above to the archives on SourceForge or the LAMMPS web
- You do not have to subscribe to the list to post Qs, receive answers
(to your Qs), or browse/search the archives.
- You do need to subscribe to the list if you want emails for all the
posts (per-message or in digest form), or to answer Qs yourself. Feel
free to sign up and help us out!
- If you post a message and you are a subscriber, your message will
appear immediately. If you are not a subscriber, your message will be
moderated, which typically takes a day. Either way, when someone
replies you will receive that reply as a personal email, and the reply
will appear on the list in the new thread your message started.
Posting a message sends email to subscribers immediately, but it can
take a few hours for postings and replies to show up in the
SourceForge archive. We only update the LAMMPS web page archives
every couple of weeks.
- An (unfortunately) common occurrence is for your mail list account to
be "disabled", due to excessive bounces between SourceForge and your
mail server. If this happens, you can reset your account to
"enabled", by going to the link listed
changing options. Enter the email address that mail list messages are
sent to, and the password you specified for subscribing. Then you get
a page of options. The first one (Mail delivery) is to enable/disable
your account. Be sure to "Submit My Changes" at the bottom of the
Search the LAMMPS mail list archives
The mail list postings can be searched in various ways:
- Use this customized Google search box to search the subject lines and
content of mail messages archived on SourceForge.
- Do a normal Google/Bing/etc search in your browser. All mail list
postings have "lammps-users" in the subject line. For example, a
Google search for "lammps-users fix langevin" (without the quotes),
will give hits on LAMMPS mail list messages.